1.27.2008

sports injury

You may not guess this by looking at me these days but I used to actually play sports and do physical activities. What will not come as a shock though is that I often got injured. I have broken a finger playing handball, fractured an elbow roller skating, had a variety of shoulder and elbow ailments from swimming and tennis. From soccer I have sprained my back, done damage to both my knees, and got a minor concusson. My ankles have suffered the most damage with torn ligaments to the right one, numerous sprains on both, tendonittis on the left. Last night though I suffered perhaps my funniest and most dangerous injury yet. I can proudly say that I nearly blinded myself playing darts.

Now, I know what you are thinking. Darts can be dangerous right? Throwing sharp objects as hard as you can. If you have played with Jeremy and Wes you know the seem to throw as hard as a major league pitcher. Did I stand in the way of one of their throws? Of course not, that would be too easy! I actually managed to get injured removing the dart from the board. After a particularly good throw I walked over to the board and pulled the darts out as hard as I could in an attempt at intimidation. One flew out of my hands right into my left eye. Even popped a blood vessel.

A couple of years ago a college baseball player broke his leg after the semi-final of the college world series during the post game celebratory pile up. He couldnt play in the finals. I thought it was funny. Now I feel like I am just like him.

For the record, I had one of my best dart playing nights. Until my injury derailed it all.

No comments: