1.23.2008

on sobriety

It turns out that Wes was sober this whole weekend. This is not that big of a deal, but it is slightly unusual. On Sunday he shared the following gems with me:

~If I don't have a hangover to cure, I don't have anything in my life.

I think he really is onto something here. As nice as it feels to wake up not hungover it does take some of the adventure out of living. It is hard to wake up and face life without having to develop a game plan for survival. No desperate attempts at eating the right kinds of food, drinking the right kinds of liquids in the right order, no begging God to just take you and no empty threats to never drink again. What is the fun in that? It also reminds me of one of my favorite quotes regarding alcohol by Frank Sinatra: "I feel sorry for people who don't drink, when they wake up in the morning that is as good as they are going to feel all day."

~Sobriety is for lovers and West Virginia is still for casual sex.

Go to a bar/restaurant/party and the drunkest people there are those who are single and those who have been in a relationship/married too long aka those who are miserable. Only people in love have a reason to stay sober.

I'm ready for my drink now.

No comments: