2.13.2008

missing the point

So Target has been in town the past few days and while it is a lot of fun when they are here it also exhausting. We have to be constantly on. The house has to look good, we have to look good and say the right things and it is a lot of pressure. At the end of the event today one of them was watching a litttle kid do a valentine and said to me that she was really sad and that she thought my boss and I were angels for doing what we do. First I assured her neither one of us are angels and then I said that it could be tough but that we love what we do and it has its rewards.

And that got me thinking that yes, I am incredibly proud of what I do. And no, chances are that I am not personally making a difference in their lives, but these events and parties are. And if coming in on a Sunday so that some Jews can decorate cookies makes one kid's day better than I have done my job well.

My next thought which I kept to myself was... hmmm if only I made more money then I could really be happier.

And then it hit me that I missed the whole point of it all. And that I had just gotten myself some extra points in hell.

No comments: